A Newport Inn With Colonial Charm
Steeped in history dating to 1760 when the private residence for Colonel Francis Malbone (b. 1728 - d. 1785) was built, the historic mansion was seized by the British at the start of the Revolutionary War. It was then used to store looted gold and treasures, leading to its nickname, "the Treasure House."
The legend is told of the love affair of a young British officer and the colonel's daughter, Peggy Malbone. According to history, the two fell in love just before the war, when the officer would dine at the Colonel's estate. When the war began, and the mansion was seized by the British, the Malbone's remained under British occupancy. Officers were not allowed to enter the house or socialize with the colonists, so the lovers were forbidden to see one another. The young British officer was captured in an attempt to sneak into Newport to see her and imprisoned in Massachusetts. According to legend, he finally escaped and for months risked life and limb as a fugitive to return to her. The two were married at the close of the war and returned to England where he became Lord Stanhope, Earl of Chesterfield.At the end of the war, the mansion was returned to the Malbone family who retained ownership until the early 1830s. After the death of Colonel Malbone in 1785, his son, Francis Malbone Jr., a future United States Senator, received ownership of the estate until his untimely death in 1809. In 1850, the house was owned by Dr. James R. Newton, who built a brick office on the estate for his doctor's office. This building is now known as "The Counting House" and is our largest suite.